8 Effective Tips for Speedy Recovery after Root Canal Therapy
Root canals sound much scarier than they actually are. There will be minimal pain after the procedure and your gums and mouth will feel normal within one or two weeks. However, if you do not take proper care of yourself, you won’t be able to recover quickly from a root canal therapy. Go through these eight effective root canal or endodontics treatment in order to improve your condition immediately.
- Keep head elevated and do not eat immediately – Once the process is done, you might have some kind of swelling and pain around your mouth. It is advised to keep your head elevated and try to avoid lying down in order to reducethe discomfort. It is good enough to add another pillow so that your head remains elevated while you sleep for a fewdays. Make sure you do not eat anything till the numbness goes away.
- Start taking pain medication – When the anaesthetic from the procedure wears off, you will feel some kind of discomfort in the gum and the jaw. Take over the counter anti-inflammatory pain medication such as ibuprofen as suggested by the dentist for your comfortable recovery.
- Gargle with warm and salt water – You should gargle with warm and salty water to keep your mouth clean and get rid of any present infections. The biggest risk factor is the gum that surrounds your infected tooth. This may lead to severe pain and so, you should try to avoid it from getting infected.
- Eat ice cream and use cold compress – After performing aroot canal treatment, you will be encouraged to have ice-cream. The cold will keep the inflammation down and protect you against an infection so that you can recover as quickly as possible. You can use cold compress for at least 10 to15 minutes, a few times a day after the procedure is done.
- Avoid anything that cause inflammation – We advise that you stay from any hot beverages, smoking, drinking with straws, alcohol or any foods that can get stuck in-between your teeth. These things can all aid towards an infection during your healing period.
- Avoid tiresome activities for a few days – You need to keep your feet up and relax for some time after the root canal and avoid strenuous physical activities for the next two days. This means you should not play sports, run, hike or do physical labour.
- Know what you should expect – If you do not understand what to expect after the procedure, then it is important to know that you may feel some sensitivity to taking hot and cold foods/drinks and biting. Find out if you suffer from severe toothache and detect the rough areas around the tooth. These symptoms usually disappear within one or two weeks.
- Visit your dentist when worried – If the symptoms become severe, you should see your dentist immediately.This is very important in case you have excessive bleeding, severe pain, swelling, fever or reaction to certain medication. Those symptoms may occur in rare cases, therefore, by taking proper care of yourself, you can recover quickly.
These are some effective tips for your speedy recovery after a root canal treatment performed by Dentist in Smile 4 U Dental Practice in Croydon.